National Park Bio-Security
Invasive species can damage the unique ecosystem of the Channel Islands. Please check all gear for pests, seeds, and dirt. The following are some of the items not allowed in the park: seeds, plants or cut flowers, fruit boxes, used corrugated cardboard, untreated wood, soil.
Camping within the Channel Islands National Park.
- All campers must obtain boat transportation prior to booking a campsite. (We do not go to each island daily).
- Like many of the National Park campgrounds around the country, sites can fill quickly and are often booked far in advance of the current date and you must confirm availability before you reserve your boat transportation.
- All campers must obtain campsites prior to leaving the mainland and Island Packers must have your campsite reservation information on file prior to boarding.
- Please review the “How to Pack” slideshow before you arrive.
Winter/Spring Camper Warning
Between the months of December through May, ocean conditions may prevent Island Packers from picking you up at your scheduled time. Please come prepared with extra food in case we are unable to pick you because of adverse weather conditions. On the day of your island departure please speak with a ranger or check the bulletin board for the most up-to-date information regarding island pick-up times. Island Packers may come earlier, (as much as a day earlier) than scheduled for camper pick up, so please check before you leave the campground area. You may miss the boat if you are unaware of the schedule change.
Camping & Overnight Gear Guidelines
Whether you are camping within the National Park or visiting The Nature Conservancy property, UCSB or CSUCI field stations, or the Navy Site our guidelines apply to you.
- NO single item over 45 lbs. No Exceptions.
- 60 lbs. of gear maximum per person, not including water. Passengers staying more than 2 nights are allowed an additional 10 lbs. of of provisions (food) per night stayed.
- Ice chests/coolers may not exceed 60 quarts and may not exceed 45 lbs in weight.
- Fuel must be separated from other gear before loading. Fuel canisters will be placed in a special container for transport to the island.
- Lithium batteries and e-cigarettes may not be stowed in your overnight gear. Please carry all electronic items in your day pack instead.
- Water is not included in the weight total. Filled containers may not exceed 3 gallons and will be stored on the back deck of the vessel.
- Gear: Ice chests, backpacks, food storage containers, suitcases, duffel bags and similar items may not weigh more than 45 lbs. There are very few exceptions to this rule. Exceptions must be approved by management prior to your trip date.
- Carry-on baggage must fit completely under the bench seat.
- Gear that does not meet Island Packers guidelines will be required to be repacked or the weight decreased before being loaded onto the vessel.
- Over-sized gear or equipment must have management approval before the date of your trip and are subject to a fee (weight & dimensions required for approval.)
- We reserve the right to refuse gear that arrives late or is determined to be inappropriately packed, overweight, over-sized, hazardous, flammable or unacceptable at Island Packers sole discretion.
- Overnight Parking - If you are leaving a car in the Ventura Harbor parking lot while at the islands, you must park in the long-term parking area and have a parking permit visible on your car. Island Packers will provide you parking permit free of charge when you check-in for your trip.
- Carts & Wagons - Island Packers only allows collapsible soft sided 4 wheel carts and folding hand trucks. (Please email Info@islandpackers.com with a picture of your cart/hand truck open and folded to see if your cart is acceptable. Restrictions are due to space availability on the vessel. 4 Wheel Carts incur a $10.00 fee.
Island Packers Does Not Transport:
- Gear weighing more than 45 LBS
- Rubber rafts
- Outboard motors
- Water containers over 3 Gallons
- Windsurfers or stand-up paddle boards
- Surfboard over 8 feet in length
- Any non folding or hard sided 4 wheeled cart/wagon/hand truck.