Camping within the Channel Islands National Park.
- All campers must obtain boat transportation prior to booking a campsite. (We do not go to each island daily).
- Like many of the National Park campgrounds around the country, sites can fill quickly and are often booked far in advance of the current date and you must confirm availability before you reserve your boat transportation.
- All campers must obtain campsites prior to leaving the mainland and Island Packers must have your campsite reservation information on file prior to boarding.
- Please review the “How to Pack” slideshow before you arrive.
Winter/Spring Camper Warning
Between the months of December through May, ocean conditions may prevent Island Packers from picking you up at your scheduled time. Please come prepared with extra food in case we are unable to pick you because of adverse weather conditions. On the day of your island departure please speak with a ranger or check the bulletin board for the most up-to-date information regarding island pick-up times. Island Packers may come earlier, (as much as a day earlier) than scheduled for camper pick up, so please check before you leave the campground area. You may miss the boat if you are unaware of the schedule change.
Camping & Overnight Gear Guidelines
Whether you are camping within the National Park or visiting The Nature Conservancy property, UCSB or CSUCI field stations, or the Navy Site our guidelines apply to you.
- 60 lbs. of gear maximum per person, not including water. Passengers staying more than 2 nights are allowed an additional 10 lbs. of of provisions (food) per night stayed.
- NO single item over 45 lbs. No Exceptions.
- Ice chests/coolers may not exceed 60 quarts and may not exceed 45 lbs in weight.
- Fuel must be separated from other gear before loading. Fuel canisters will be placed in a special container for transport to the island.
- Water is not included in the weight total. Filled containers may not exceed 3 gallons and will be stored on the back deck of the vessel.
- Gear: Ice chests, backpacks, food storage containers, suitcases, duffel bags and similar items may not weigh more than 45 lbs. There are very few exceptions to this rule. Exceptions must be approved by management prior to your trip date.
- Carry-on baggage must fit completely under the bench seat.
- Gear that does not meet Island Packers guidelines will be required to be repacked or the weight decreased before being loaded onto the vessel.
- Over-sized gear or equipment must have management approval before the date of your trip and are subject to a fee (weight & dimensions required for approval.)
- We reserve the right to refuse gear that arrives late or is determined to be inappropriately packed, overweight, over-sized, hazardous, flammable or unacceptable at Island Packers sole discretion.
- If you are leaving a car in the Ventura Harbor parking lot while at the islands, you must park in the long-term parking area and have a parking permit visible on your car. Island Packers will have parking permits available to you when you check-in for your trip.
Island Packers Does Not Transport:
- Gear weighing more than 45 LBS
- Rubber rafts
- Outboard motors
- Water containers over 3 Gallons
- Windsurfers or stand-up paddle boards
- Surfboard over 8 feet in length
- Any type or style of 4 wheeled cart/wagon.